Monday, October 20, 2008

Bathroom Disparity

I've got a few bigger things brewing, but to tide everyone over until I have the time to put them together, I thought I'd throw out this little tidbit on one observation I've had.

As a summary for the ladies - the standard men's room in the US will contain both toilets and urinals. The toilet stalls are similar to those in the women's bathroom, where the walls start at about 9 inches off the ground and stop just above the average person's head. About 70% of the bathrooms also have some kind of barrier between the urinals, to prevent peeking.

Everywhere I've been so far here in London, though, has an odd mix. I have yet to see a urinal barrier, which is not completely mind-boggling. What makes it worth noting, though, is that every toilet stall has floor to ceiling doors. I guess I just don't understand the privacy barrier here between urinal and toilet. I would think that they could cut off 1/3 of the barriers used on the toilets and put them up as urinal barriers. Is that really too much to ask?

Anyway men, if you come over, plan on having no privacy in "one" case, and a lot more than you're used to in the other case.

No comments: