Friday, September 5, 2008

The Arrival

So we made it.

Our flight was interesting - 4 suitcases, two nearly 50 pounds and the others about 70, plus 4 carry-ons. If you imagine how hard it would be to get those through the airport, it was about that bad. Our driver who picked us up just stared in disbelief (yes, he had a sign with our name on it - check off one Life Goal). It all fit though and we had a good drive through the heart of London to our apartment.

It is pretty surreal. We are literally a block from the Tower of London. You'd think we'd have some pictures of that, being so close, but we don't. Here is one of the Tower Bridge though, which is right next door to the Tower itself and happens to be what I walk across on the way to work everyday (also pretty surreal).


My office is right across the river from the Tower, so right now I am sitting at a desk, looking out the window where I see the River Thames bridged by this large ornate tower structure which crosses over to a castle that was built hundreds of years before America was discovered (unless you count the Indians, which I don't 'cause it sounds better).  The pics below are both of my office, the one in front is with a few of the other GEP participants that we toured around with on our first day in the city.



We've had a little bit of time to sight see, but we haven't actually gone into anything yet because it is expensive and we assume that when you guys come to visit, you'll want to go see them and we didn't want to pay twice. Here we are at Big Ben (and somehow I flipped it when trying to rotate, so imagine this as a mirror, Jenna is on my right).


We also have several other pics of Buckingham Palace, Westminster, etc. We loaded them all on snapfish, which I thought I'd be able to link here, but I can't figure it out. If you are really interested, I'm sure we could email them to you or something.


Right now, we're mainly just worried about finding a place, which is a nightmare, but that is for another post...

No comments: